Apr 6, 2019

Three Videos on Lawrence Kohlberg's Moral Development Theory


Lawrence Kohlberg was a psychologist particularly interested in human moral development.  His six-level model has ben incredibly influential not only in the fields of psychology and education, but also in philosophy, where it is regularly taught and discussed in ethics classes. 

Since I was teaching him early on in my Ethics for Artists and Designers class at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design this semester, I decided to create some new core concept videos as resources for my students, knowing that they would also prove useful for the broader public.

As a little known side-note (perhaps something I'll do some writing about down the line), we typically associate Kohlberg with the moral development of children in educational institutions, with general moral development of adults, or with the many critiques of his theory (particularly those leveled by his student, Carol Gilligan, in her book, In a Different Voice).  One important area of his research - as I discovered when I was putting together a talk on my own experience teaching philosophy in that setting - was with prisoners and correctional officers.

Here are those three core concept videos:



If you find these useful for you, share them with others.  If you'd like to support my ongoing work, making philosophy more publicly accessible, consider buying me a coffee, or becoming a monthly supporter on Patreon.

No comments:

Post a Comment