Dec 3, 2020

Results of the Vote - Heidegger Podcast Episodes Coming Up Next


Today, I've finished releasing my latest series of podcast episodes in the Sadler's Lectures podcast, a set on Simone de Beauvoir's work, The Second Sex. I wanted to get some input from viewers, subscribers, followers, and supporters about which thinkers they would like to see the next podcast episodes focus on. So I created and ran polls on my YouTube channel, Patreon page, and Twitter stream. I weighted Patreon supporters' votes much more heavily, since they make a monthly commitment to underwriting the work I do.

Each of the options was a thinker that I've already created some podcast episodes on in the past.  Aristotle, Cicero, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, or Martin Heidegger.  The results were quite interesting.  the formula for each of these is Patreon (x20) + YouTube + Twitter.

  • Heidegger 140 + 259 + 56 = 455 total
  • Dostoevsky 100+ 259 + 31 = 390 total
  • Aristotle 160 + 168 +30 = 358 total 
  • Cicero 120 + 84 + 22 = 226 total
So Heidegger was the clear winner of the combined polls, and I'll be producing a set of episodes on one of his key essays, What Is Metaphysics?, with releases starting tomorrow.

It's interesting and heartening to see that there were quite a bit of people wanting to see podcast episodes on the other three thinkers as well.  Once the Heidegger podcast episodes are done, I'll move on to Dostoevsky, and convert my recent core concept lectures on portions of The Brothers Karamazov to podcast episodes.  

After those two thinkers, I'll shift to Aristotle and Cicero, and I plan to concentrate on their discussions of the complex topic of friendship and relationships. So for Aristotle, that's Nicomachean Ethics books 8-9 (supplemented here and there by the Eudemian Ethics).  And for Cicero,  his book On Friendship, of course!

I'll be producing and releasing all of those podcast episodes over the next two months, so if you follow my Soundcloud, you can be sure to hear them as they come out.  One of the perks for my Patreon supporters, of course, is that they get early releases of these, so if that's something you're interested in, you might consider becoming a supporter.




No comments:

Post a Comment