Mar 20, 2021

Next Thinkers for Sadler's Lectures Podcast Selected

Every once in a while, I do polls about which authors' works I should focus on next for the Sadler's Lectures podcast. I ran one earlier this week in three places - Twitter, YouTube, and Patreon - and I think at this point in time I can call the winner of the poll:  Thomas Hobbes.  I'll be producing podcast episodes from the recent core concept videos on his masterwork, Leviathan. 

For those who don't already know, the stock of 800 or so core concept videos I have produced provide the raw material for the podcast episodes. Hence the title "Sadler's Lectures" - that's exactly what they are, lectures I gave originally in video form, and then converted to audio, boosting sound quality, taking out filler words, and exporting into mp3 format podcast episodes.

The four alternatives for the polls were:

  • Anselm of Canterbury - On Freedom of Choice
  • Thomas Hobbes - Leviathan
  • Lev Shestov - All Things Are Possible
  • Frantz Fanon - Black Skin, White Masks
Each of these is a work on which, in the last several years, I produced a sequence of short lecture videos, and which I intended eventually to get to producing podcast episodes on.  I'll be doing so for all of them in which remains of this month and throughout next month.  The only question was where I should start.

I take the votes from the polls and add them all together. My Patreon supporters, however, get their votes much more heavily weighted than the general public - each of their votes counts as 20 votes.  17 Patreon supporters have voted.  80 or so people voted on Twitter, and over 700 on YouTube.  Here's how the votes came out (Patreon + Twitter + YouTube)
  • Thomas Hobbes 80 + 14 + 260 = 354
  • Anselm of Canterbury 100 + 23 + 175 = 298
  • Frantz Fanon 80 + 31 + 175 = 286
  • Lev Shestov 80 + 15 + 91 = 186

So, there you go!  I'll be starting with Thomas Hobbes, then moving on to Anselm, then to Frantz Fanon, and then Lev Shestov.  I've got my work cut out for me.  You'll see me posting the podcast episodes in my social media, but if you want to listen to them as soon as they come out, you might want to subscribe to the Sadler's Lectures podcast.  You can do so at its home on Soundcloud, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Player FM, iHeart Radio, and plenty of other places online.

No comments:

Post a Comment