Jan 6, 2019

Ten Videos on Augustine's City of God

Last semester, I started shooting a set of short lecture videos on the early Christian philosopher, Augustine of Hippo's City of God as resources for my students in two of my classes.  That late work of Augustine is a pretty massive tome, so we were just covering a selection of topics in books 5, 11, and 19 of the text.

The topics that we examined - human free will and divine foreknowledge, the role of Christian revelation in philosophy, created time and space, what human happiness requires, the virtues in their struggles with vices, and the extent of community - are all important in Augustine's thought as a whole.

The semester got away from me - I ended up taking on five classes (more than full time for academic teaching) - so I wasn't able to get to all of them until later on in December, after classes ended.  Here is the full set on the City of God - to which I will perhaps add additional videos down the line.
This semester, I'll only be teaching some of this material from book 11 of City of God in my classes.  But I will be covering a different Augustine text, his earlier work On Free Choice of the Will.  I'll be creating new core concept videos on that book later on in the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment