Feb 26, 2019

Free Online Course on Epictetus' Enchiridion



Stoic Week is an annual worldwide event started and hosted by the Modern Stoicism organization (whose team I joined back in 2016).  I began participating in Stoic Week in 2013, and then in 2014, 2015 - as I participated - created sets of videos other participants could watch.  In 2016, I decided upon a more ambitious video project. 

That year, I shot a set of 21 roughly half hour videos covering every chapter of Epictetus' short work of Stoic philosophy, The Enchiridion, line by line, offering commentary in-depth.  This is the same close-reading video approach I'm applying in the perhaps better known Half Hour Hegel project, providing expert commentary in 25-35 minute blocks, first reading the text and then discussing the key ideas.

I released those videos, 3 of them a day, over the course of the 7 days of Stoic Week 2016.  I had already started working on a more comprehensive online course that included not only those lecture videos, but also other resources to help students study and learn from Epictetus' Enchiridion.

So that's precisely what I did, creating a free course in our Study With Dr Sadler! online academy.  That course includes lesson pages, printable handouts and worksheets, and quizzes you can use to test your understanding.  You can work through every chapter of the Enchiridion, entirely at your own pace, and as often as you like.

If you're interested in that class, click here and you'll be sent to the course site!

No comments:

Post a Comment