Apr 12, 2019

Seven Videos on Descartes' Meditations 1 and 2


This semester, I am teaching Descartes' Meditations on First Philosophy in my Foundations in Philosophy classes at Marquette University and in my Introduction to Philosophy class at Milwaukee Area Technical College.  Although I am by no means a Cartesian, Descartes is among thinkers I consider a philosopher of the first order of importance.  His works are also quite enjoyable to read - at least for me! - both in their original Latin and French and in English translations.

When I have the opportunity to teach a thinker and text upon whom I have yet to create core concept videos, I typically try to shoot at least a few as resources for my students.  They end up getting viewed and used by others as well - the general public interested in philosophy, students at other institutions, and even some professors and institutions who incorporate them as resources for their own students.

I managed to shoot a sequence of videos getting through the first half of the Meditations (I'm hoping to get to the other half either later this month or during the summer).  I've released all of the videos covering key ideas, distinctions, or arguments in the first two Meditations, and am in process of gradually rolling out those on Meditation 3.

So if you'd like to work your way through those first two Meditations, with the help of an expert who has been studying and teaching Descartes for decades, here you go!  These comprise about an hour and a half of focused lectures that will help you better understand - and get the most out of studying - this challenging  but rewarding text.
If you find the philosophy resources I develop interesting, enjoyable, or useful, by all means share them with others.  And if you'd like to support the work that I do, making philosophy publicly accessible, you can become a monthly supporter on my Patreon page, or if you prefer a one-time donation, you can Buy Me A Coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment