May 6, 2020

Core Concept Playlist Split into Five Playlists


For years, I have been producing shorter (10-25 minute) videos on key ideas, distinctions, arguments, and topics in philosophy.  I use these routinely as a resource for my students in classes that I teach. 

Many other people use them as well.  Students in other people's classes watch or listen to them to help them understand their assigned material.  Lifelong learners use them to study or just brush up on philosophy.  Professors sometimes assign them to their own students, and I've even had some instructors write to tell me that the videos helped them prepare their own class notes, lectures, and discussions!

I used a YouTube playlist to gather them all together into one place, and that worked all right for a while.  But some time back, I passed the 600-video mark in that playlist, and it began to develop some glitches (which is actually not bad, since YouTub officially says don't put more than 200 videos in a playlist!), so I've been kicking around the idea of splitting the one massive playlist into five more manageable ones.

What kept me from doing that for the time being was the work involved.  It means going in manually and moving all of those videos around.  So I've been putting it off for quite a while.  But today, I bit the bullet, put in the hours of work, and now all five are ready for prime time (or whatever the equivalent is for YouTube!).  With no further ado, here they are (click on the link to see the actual) playlists).

  • Ancient Philosophy - 340 videos on Parmenides, Zeno of Elea, Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus, Cicero, Seneca, and Epictetus
  • Medieval Philosophy and Theology - 64 videos on Augustine of Hippo, Anselm of Canterbury, and Thomas Aquinas
  • Modern Philosophy - 80 videos on Rene Descartes, Blaise Pascal, David Hume, Jeremy Bentham, and Immanuel Kant
  • 19th Century Philosophy and Literature - 70 videos on G.W.F. Hegel, Soren Kierkegaard, John Stuart Mill, Leo Tolstoy, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Friedrich Nietzsche, and William James
  • 20th Century Philosophy and Literature - 127 videos on A.J. Ayer, Martin Heidegger, Rainer Maria Rilke, W.D. Ross, Gabriel Marcel, Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Albert Camus, Ruth Benedict, Hannah Arendt, Ayn Rand, John Rawls, George Dickie, Ursula K. Leguin, Lawrence Kohlberg, Virginia Held, Alasdair MacIntyre, Mary Midgley, James Rachels, Rosemarie Tong, and Peter Singer

That's 681 total core concept videos - quite a lot!  As I look at it, I'm pretty sure that I'll need to split that first playlist again sooner or later (most likely into everything before and including Aristotle, and everything after him).

So if you're looking for short, on-point, accessible but rigorous videos on any of these thinkers, you can now much more easily find them.  Just click on the relevant playlist and you'll be able to see everything I've got available in that format.

No comments:

Post a Comment