May 11, 2020

Six Core Concepts on Alasdair MacIntyre's After Virtue


One of the thinkers whose work I teach regularly in my Ethics classes is Alasdair MacIntyre.  In addition to his essay "Plain Persons and Moral Philosophy", I like to introduce my students to portions of MacIntyre's highly influential work, After Virtue.  Years back, I produced some core concept videos on chapters 2 and 3 of that work. 

Recently, I created a sequence of videos on another chapter of After Virtue - number 14, "The Nature of the Virtues" - that often gets anthologized and discussed.  MacIntyre sets out several conceptions of the virtues, corresponding to different types of moral philosophies, foundational conceptions, and cultures and institutions.  He zeroes in on a conception that he views as broadly Aristotelian, and elaborates it in relation to what has become one of his most distinctive and famous ideas - that of practices.

Here are those six core concept videos focused on the main ideas, distinctions, and arguments of the chapter:

If you'd like to make a contribution to helping me continue my work making classic philosophical texts, thinkers, and topics accessible for people worldwide, consider becoming a monthly supporter on Patreon.  If you'd like to make a one-time donation, you can do so directly on Paypal, or on Buy Me A Coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment