May 17, 2020

Twelve Videos on Cicero's On Friendship



Marcus Tullius Cicero's short work On Friendship is one that I occasionally teach in my Intro to Philosophy and my Ethics classes, usually counterposed to Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics books 8 and 9, which also focus on the topic of friendship.  When I teach classes focused specifically on Love, Friendship, and Relationships, On Friendship is one of the central works for the class.

I like to have core concept videos available as supplemental resources for students in my face-to-face classes.  For online classes, they're even more important.  This semester I was teaching two online ethics classes - an Ethics class in the Second Chance Pell program for Milwaukee Area Technical College, and an Ethics for Artists and Designers class for Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design.  So I thought it was about time that I created a sequence of videos going through all of On Friendship.

As it turns out, that required twelve videos, all of which are linked to here
I'm planning on creating an affordable and engaging online class on this work over the summer, which will incorporate these videos, but also provide a number of downloadable handouts, lesson pages, reflection prompts, and a number of other resources designed to help learners understand and apply the key ideas of On Friendship.  Stay tuned to our Study With Sadler online academy for more on that and other classes coming out this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment