Feb 14, 2019

Five Videos on Anselm's Proslogion

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, I have been creating new core concept videos for students enrolled in my college classes this semester.  So far I've released several new series, links to which are below.

One of the texts we are covering in its entirety in my Marquette classes, and just in part in my MATC class, is Anselm of Canterbury's short work, the Proslogion.  I created five new core concept videos covering some of the main aspects and arguments in that work (which is, according to Anselm, one long single "argument").  I hope to get to some additional videos on this work later on down the line, covering some of the other issues examined in the text.

Anselm is relatively poorly know and not all that often read (if you like, you can read my IEP article on Anselm).  When he does get addressed by philosophers, it is usually the Proslogion to which they turn, and typically just chapter 2 (and sometimes 3 and 4), where Anselm sets out what has come to be called the "ontological argument for God's existence".  There's far more going on in that book, however, as you'll see if you read it, or even if you watch the videos below.

So here they are:

In the last few months, I have also created several other series of core concept videos, on other key philosophical texts.  You might find these interesting or helpful:

I'm in process of shooting a lot more video content, and you'll see more posts like these in the coming months.  We've got more Cicero coming up, as well as more Augustine, Anselm, Thomas Aquinas, Rene Descartes, David Hume, Hannah Arendt, James Rachels, and Lawrence Kohlberg, to name a few.

If you'd like to support the work I do, creating these videos in my home studio, used by learners worldwide, consider becoming a Patreon supporter!

No comments:

Post a Comment