Jul 30, 2020

Twelve Podcast Lectures on Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics


Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics is among my favorite works of philosophy.  I've been studying and teaching it for about half of my life at this point, and one of the portions of the text I like the most are the specific discussions of the virtues and the vices found in books 3 and 4.  Quite some time back, I created core concept videos on each of those as resources for students in my classes.

More recently, I took twelve core concept videos on those topics, converted the lectures to sound files, boosted the sound quality, and edited them into podcast episodes.  Then I uploaded and released them in my Sadler's Lectures podcast as a set.  

The entire sequence, covering all of the moral virtues -  except for justice (which gets its own much more complex treatment in book 5) - and the quasi-virtue of shame, amounts to about 3 1/2 hours of lectures examining Aristotle's treatments of these virtues and their opposed vices, along with helpful examples drawn from contemporary life.

Here are those podcast episodes:
If you'd like to make a contribution to helping me continue my work making classic philosophical texts, thinkers, and topics accessible for people worldwide, consider becoming a monthly supporter on Patreon. If you'd like to make a one-time donation, you can do so directly on Paypal, or on Buy Me A Coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment